There’s No Place like Home.
The home page is the first and most visited page on any website. Too bad that so many of them suck. You can make sure yours isn’t one of them.
The underlying concept for a good home page isn’t all that complicated. There are some basic rules to follow, and the rest is salesmanship and design. Start with:
1. Marketing – Know what you’re selling and who you’re selling to. If you’ve done your homework, you’ve narrowed down your offering to one or two focal points, and you have an idea of the language levels and jargon you’ll need.
2. What‘s the Purpose of the Site? - What are you trying to do? Are you selling your product online? Or, are you soliciting inquiry for your product or service? Or, is the site a brochure or gallery, designed to present credentials, be a reference gallery, or backstop another channel of sales and marketing?
Then, and only then, should you start designing the page and its content.
1. Show What You’re Selling - It’s obvious, but oddly enough many, if not most, home pages don’t. If you don’t have a product per se, then show the brand, or the service result. Make it the focal point, whether it’s a graphic, or the headline, and make big and bold, short and punchy.
2. Make the Next Step Easy – What do you want the user to do? Click the big “Free Trial” button, print your “Big Discount” coupon, or register for the seminar? Then make is obvious and easy. Point the reader to that step, and CALL FOR ACTION.
3. Reinforce – Use a testimonial, a sample or, better yet, a video. Your prospect (and at this point, the user is a prospect), wants to know a little more. So convince him to take the next step. Give her an example or a testimonial, or a how-to video.
4. Provide Information Options – Make it easy to get more information. You have subject pages – “About Us”, “Services”, etc. Be sure you include not just the tabs, but direct internal links to the subject content. An invitation to read more will often be taken, if you’ve captured the prospect’s attention to begin with, and made that invitation attractive and easy to open.
It’s not that difficult to make a home page homey. Like many homes, comfort has a lot less to do with decoration than it does with basic architecture. Push our doorbell, and we can show you how to put a home on your site.
by HQZ Experts
HQZ Experts speaks to business professionals ... We reveal ways to improve your business with shortcuts that simplify your digital communications. Our 3 top-notch experts provide the best website design, social networking, email promos, PR, SEO, branding, and common-sense marketing strategies in Orange County.
Your feedback is important and useful to us and we welcome your input.
Please send your comments to us:
HQZ Experts, Inc.
23046 Avenida de la Carlota, Suite 663
Laguna Hills (Orange County), CA 92653
Ph: (949) 460-6486
Fx: (949) 588-5777